The Bangor School Department will hold an Information Session about the Proficiency-Based Diploma for Grade 8 and 9 parents and community members on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 from 6:00 – 7:00 pm in Peakes Auditorium at Bangor High School.
Parents and families are invited to learn more about requirements of the Proficiency-Based Diploma, which under Maine Law are in place beginning with the Class of 2019 and apply to all subsequent graduating classes.
Through a formal presentation and follow-up question and answer opportunity, attendees will understand:
- Origins and expectations of the Proficiency-Based Diploma in Maine
- The significance of the transition to a proficiency-based diploma
- Bangor’s “Blended System” to pursue the diploma:
- Credit requirements
- Proficiency requirements in the eight Content Areas
- Proficiency in skills established in the Guiding Principles
- How to support a student in the pursuit of the BHS diploma
- Non-diploma completion of high school:
- Certificate of Completion
- Certificate of Attendance
We hope parents will prioritize this important opportunity to learn more about the change in diploma requirements. Please direct questions to Bangor High School Principal Paul Butler at 992-5502, James F. Doughty School Principal Edward Hackett at 941-6220, or William S. Cohen School Principal Michael Missbrenner at 941-6230.