The Bangor School Department has been serving the academic needs of the children and youth of the city of Bangor since 1834. Some of the most notable accomplishments over the years include:
- National Blue Ribbon Schools of Excellence
- Standard and Poors Outperformed Rating
- Maine’s Higher Performing and Efficient School Ratings
- Newsweek’s Top High School Rating
- Sports Illustrated Top 50 Rating
- Parents’ Choice Award Winner
The first Bangor High School Building was located on Harlow Street on the site now known as Abbott Square parking lot. It was destroyed in the great Bangor fire of 1911. For two years following, high school classes were conducted in the Palm Street School and a temporary barrack type structure adjacent. The high school building pictured in this drawing by Tom Kane was designed by Peabody and Stearns, Architects of Boston. George Wilbur of Bangor was contractor. The school was completed and opened for its first school sessions in September, 1913.