The Bangor School Department is currently hiring tutors to assist in achieving its mission of academic excellence for all students. Tutors are temporary hourly employees on an as needed basis and assignments may change frequently.
Tutorial instruction is provided to students in many different situations, and tutors may be assigned to provide academic assistance for students due to:
- Medical need
- Support student’s Individual Education Plan
- An interim educational placement/temporary program change
- Support English Second Language learners
All tutors are required to complete the tutor training prior to beginning any tutorial assignments and will receive ongoing support during their assignment. Depending on the student’s situation, tutors may meet with assigned student(s) in school, at the library, or in the student’s home.
Students come to tutorial with an array of backgrounds, experiences, expectations, and habits. Tutors need to be professional, open to diversity, and willing to work with unique student characteristics. A tutor’s role is to provide a safe learning environment to achieve academic excellence.
The four goals of tutoring are to foster independence in the student, create active learning, foster mastery of the material in subject areas, and increase the student’s self esteem.
Tutors typically work 10-30 hours per week and must have at least Ed Tech III certification. Hourly rate of pay is:
- $11 with Ed Tech III Certification (no degree)
- $12.50 with Bachelor’s Degree
- $13.50 with Master’s Degree
- $14.50 with Maine Teacher Certification
- $15.50 with Master’s + Maine Teacher Certification
- $18 with ESL + Teacher Certification
- $19 with Master’s + ESL + Teacher Certification