Good evening, this is Kathy Harris-Smedberg, interim superintendent of the Bangor School Department. I have been notified that the Downeast School has at least one confirmed case of COVID-19.
If you or your child are identified as having been potentially exposed, you will receive an email tonight and, if needed, a Bangor nurse or school representative will contact you within 24 hours. All close contacts will need to quarantine by staying at home for ten days. You will need to monitor for symptoms of cough, shortness of breath, or a temperature higher than 100.4°F, and practice physical distancing. If you are not contacted today, you do not need to start a quarantine routine and may return to school in the morning.
If you have any questions, please contact your child’s school in the morning. For general COVID-19 questions, dial 211 (or 1-866-811-5695). You can also text your ZIP code to 898-211 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Call a health care provider for questions about your symptoms. More information can be found at www.maine.gov/dhhs/coronavirus or www.cdc.gov/coronavirus
You can help reduce the spread of the virus by:
· Wearing a face mask when out of your home
· Practicing physical distancing (keep at least six feet apart)
· Practicing good hygiene (wash your hands, cover coughs and sneezes, avoid touching face)
· Cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched objects and surfaces
· Staying home when you are sick
· Avoiding close contact with people who are sick
· Taking care of yourself: Eat healthy, exercise, stay current with vaccinations
Please stay safe and be well.