February 8, 2021
Dear Bangor Families,
I hope this letter finds you and your family doing well. As I have said many times, I would like to thank you for all that you have done this year to allow us to provide our students with as much in-person learning as possible.
February 12 is the last school day before break and classes will resume February 22, 2021. If you plan to travel outside of Maine, please remember that New Hampshire and Vermont are currently the only states exempt from restrictions. In following the Maine state guidance, if you travel outside of Maine to a non-exempted state, please plan for COVID-19 testing and provide the necessary documentation to the school nurse upon your return. Alternatively, if you plan to complete a 10 day quarantine before returning to school please contact your school’s main office to let us know your plans. Further information may be found at: Maine Travel Updates. Travelers returning to Maine should continue to follow the Governor’s Executive Order regarding testing or quarantine even if they have been immunized or previously been diagnosed.
If you do travel, please follow the actions below to help minimize the risk of infection among our students:
- Contact the school nurse to let them know you are traveling to a state that is non-exempt from the quarantine and testing requirements prior to your travel date.
- Test all family members who traveled out of state within the 72 hours upon their return to Maine. With a negative test result, students and staff will be able to return to school and will not have to complete the 10-day quarantine. The test results will need to be submitted to the school nurse before the students or staff may return to school.
- Please let the school nurse know of any positive test results.
- Stay home if you are sick.
Whether traveling or not (and upon return to school) please continue to:
- Wear your mask when in public
- Maintain physical distancing (6 feet or more)
- Wash your hands often
- Use online or contactless reservations, check-ins, delivery, and pick-up options
- Enhance healthy hygiene practices
On behalf of the Bangor School Department, I hope you and your family are able to use this school break to relax and rejuvenate. If you need support in any way, please reach out to your child’s school; we are here to help. If you are concerned with how your child is doing emotionally you can contact the NAMI MAINE HELPLINE . The number is 800-464-5767, press 1 (email@example.com). Here is a link with additional hotline numbers: https://www.maine.gov/dhhs/about/contact/hotlines. The direct number is (207)287-3703. We have also created a wellness resource page for parents (https://www.bangorschools.net/for-parents/health-and-wellness-resources/) with resources, calming videos, and activities for children of all ages. Thank you for your continued support of our schools, our students, and our community. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your child’s school.
Kathy Harris-Smedberg, Ph.D